John Sampson Jnr 1831-1910 & Susan Rawling Saunders 1836-1884 & Eliza Bradford 1849-1941
John & Susan married 31 Jul 1852 in Burra, South Australia. After the death of Susan, John married Eliza on 14 Jan 1885 in Burra.

John Sampson Jnr

Eldest child of John and Ann Sampson

Born: 17 Dec 1831 Goldsithney, Cornwall

Baptised: 4 Mar 1832 Perranuthnoe, Cornwall

Died:  20 Apr 1910 Burra, South Australia

Buried: Burra Cemetery South Australia

Susan Rawling Saunders (1st wife)

Daughter of William Saunders (1797-1854) & Anne Rawlings (1798-1860)

Born: 6 Dec 1836 Perranarworthal, Cornwall

Baptised: 26 Mar 1837 Perranarworthal,Cornwall

Died: 31 July 1884 Burra, South Australia

Buried: Burra Cemetery South Australia

Eliza Bradford (2nd wife)

John was 15 years of age when he arrived with his family at Port Adelaide on 1 July 1847. He obtained employment as an under waiter at the Club House Hotel, in Hindley Street, Adelaide. John worked in this position for ten weeks and then rejoined his family in the Burra. John was then employed in the Burra Mine until 1854. At that time he changed over from mining to carting copper ore using his bullock team. It is reported that he took the first load of copper from Burra to Port Arthur. In 1857 he worked for S.A.M.A. (South Australian Mining Association) to look after their open lands  outside the mining operation, which extended from Burra to Mt. Bryan. By 1865/66 he was a butcher for two years. He was the Baliff of the Local Court in Redruth, Burra for the period 1876-77. After that time he was a commission agent and obtained his auctioneer’s licence on Friday 23 June 1876. Around 1878 he was elected councillor for the South Ward and represented the town of Burra for many years. John held the position of mayor twice from 1 December 1894 to 1 December 1897 and for most of 1902. John was a Justice of the Peace.


For the first ten weeks of his life in Australia, John work as a 15 year old under waiter at the Club House Hotel pictured here.Source: State Library of South Australia. Club House Hotel in Hindley Street c. 1851. CC BY 2.0